Friday, February 3, 2012

The "Smart Cookie" award


 I want to thank Cindy from  http://dreamersperch.blogspot.com/ who gave me the "Smart Cookie" award a couple of weeks ago.
 Now I have to do a number of things as the recipient of this award:
1) Thank the award giver and add a link to their blog. (See above).
2) Share some interesting facts on anything.
3) Pass the award to other "Smart Cookies".
I am going to give this award to the following bloggers:

Elizabeth Varadan aka :  http://elizabethvaradansfourthwish.blogspot.com/

Liz Davis http://novel-moments.blogspot.com/

Karen G http://karenjonesgowen.blogspot.com

Rick Watson  http://dorahighschoolalumni.blogspot.com/

J.L Campbell http://thecharacterdepot.blogspot.com/


Rebecca Kiel: http://rebeccakielpages.blogspot.com/

Now I will share some interesting facts. I have an interest in the mind and the human brain so I will say something about them.
1) Meditation has been shown to have beneficial effects on our brains. A study showed that after meditating for eight weeks the brains of those who meditated showed measurable changes in gray matter density in areas related to memory, empathy and learning. (MRIs were done to show the findings).
2) According to the same study, meditation also reduced gray matter density in the amygdala, an area of the brain connected to stress and anxiety
3) Exercise protects the brain as it ages. It has been shown to improve concentration and learning.
4) Studies suggest that  exercise helps to preserve mental functions and it may help to prevent Alzheimer's dementia.

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for the award, Julia. Amazing how much those cookies look like mine LOL. Interesting stuff on brain function. I need to get back to my daily walks for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These cookies may not be as good as the ones you make, but they are better than nothing. Good point! Those walks will bring even more inspiration to your busy writing life.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Julia for the award. The cookies look wonderful. I ate one of them ;)

    Your post reminds me to restart my meditation sessions soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Julia, you're a sweetheart. I don't have a sweet tooth but I'll eat these cookies just because they're from you.Thanks for dropping by at my blog and for the lovely comments, as usual. You're very much appreciated. Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! I 'm so excited about your book! My life has been hectic but I can't wait to read it. I will get to it soon.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the award. And man... I really need to start meditating more. Seriously - my memory is fried. I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helpswith memory and it brings a positive outlook to my life. Welcome Leigh!

      Delete
  5. Huge congratulations with your award!

    I do like just sitting in silence for hours on end - just emptying my brain of all thoughts and just sitting quietly! I like that! It's still an effort to do physical exercises daily for me though and I thank Rosemary Conley for making this chore a little bearable! Seriously - her dvds are the only ones who get me up and going and I've tried so many!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Old Kitty. Thanks for commenting. Focusing your mind and settling into stillness is a very smart idea. I'm glad you found some good DVDs to help you. Stay well.

      Delete
  6. Great post about meditation! I teach yoga and meditation classes, what can I say, it works!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jilda, how exciting! I try to do and yoga and meditation every day. It has changed my life for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do meditation almost everyday. I'm going to be taking up Tai Chi as well. I work in a high stress environment, so I need to constantly center myself.

    I'm going to check out those blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I should try Tai Chi in the future. Yes,meditation has so many benefits... enjoy your visit to the other blogs. Have fun.

      Delete
  9. Thanks so much. I appreciate you sharing this award.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there colleagues, how is everything, and what you
    want to say concerning this paragraph, in my view its
    truly remarkable designed for me.

    Feel free to visit my web site - vaginal messh recall

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. Thank you.