Saturday, February 18, 2012

Water, a source of inspiration

Whenever I get stuck with an idea, or just for the fun of it, I like to be close to water. It works marvels when I need to roll my thoughts into stories. Sitting by a lake, contemplating the ocean, listening  to a stream or river flowing, walking by a pond, are all gifts to my creativity.
There is a pond close to my house and I like to peer out the window to rest my eyes on it and let my mind wander.
Here you are some interesting facts about water:

-Our bodies are made up of 60-70 %  water
- Coffee, tea and soft drinks contain caffeine - not just water. The diuretic effects of caffeine make your body lose water.
-Our brains need water. Why? Studies have shown that if you are only one percent dehydrated, you will likely have a 5 percent decrease in cognitive function. If your brain drops 2 percent in body water you may suffer from fuzzy short-term memory, experience problems with focusing, and have trouble with math calculations.
- Don't take water for granted. One billion people worldwide have no access to safe drinking water. 
-Half of the world's hospital beds are filled with people who suffer water related illnesses.
I was visiting the aquarium in Milwaukee a couple of weeks ago when I thought about writing this blog entry. At that instant, a man approached me to ask for feedback on a website about the conservation of water. 
Here is the link to his website:
www.h2oscore.com
Now go and enjoy a nice sip of cool water.


If you enjoyed this post feel free to read my post on Light Pollution. 

5 comments:

  1. Isn't water fascinating? My son would love to read these facts. He's always spouting water facts to me. Kind of fun. And I agree about water being inspiring. I don't really have any ocean nearby, but I love lakes and rivers! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Leigh. Even taking a shower can soothe us and inspire us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I relate to this. Water is soothing, healthy, life-sustaining. Now I miss the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get horrible headaches if I'm dehydrated. It's amazing how the headache disappears quickly after drinking a pint of water!

    It's awful thought that people - often the poorest and most neglected - don't have access to clean drinking water. It's a basic human right.

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, yes, I agree with you.
    Old Kitty: I also get a headache when I'm dehydrated. And I agree with you that having access to clean drinking water is a basic human right.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. Thank you.