Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The IMAX mind of a writer

Every time we write our stories we travel to another realm, we see the world from our characters' perspectives. We become like actors/actresses that play our characters' roles. We are going through the scenes as if we were watching a movie in an IMAX theater. 
This past weekend I went to an IMAX theater to watch The Mysteries of Egypt. It was a magic experience. While I was watching this fascinating movie I felt that I was traveling to Egypt. I had the chance to fly  over lakes and all kinds of different landscapes, to sail the rivers with the local people, to feel that I was right there. The vivid huge scenes made me  breathe in the dry air and feel the sun burning my skin and I could imagine myself touching the pyramids with my hands. I even felt the dizziness of going too fast in the air.
   While I watched this colorful movie, I came to the realization that the best stories I write are the ones into which I dive with my own body and mind. I sense everything, see, smell, hear and touch. Not because I bog down the story with descriptions, but because the scenes become so real in my mind that I become a different person embedded in the setting of my story.
   
   Don't you think it is fascinating?

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fascinating experience. I tend to immerse myself in my characters' skin and that works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, J.L Campbell. If I ever have some difficulties in starting a story I imagine I am going through it.It becomes so vivid that I cannot stop myself from writing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. Those little moments that plant one in the story are like magic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The IMAX is a good metaphor to use. Storytellers who are good at describing scenes/people/places using the senses are the most effective to me.
    I can still remember the first time I saw what came to be called IMAX movies. It was in 1975 in Washington D.C.
    My new wife and I had gone there to visit with an Army buddy and we watched the movie "To Fly" at the Smithsonian. (It's also the first time I ever heard Pachelbel's Canon in D Major.
    My life changed a little on that day.
    Good post.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to check that movie, then. You sparked my curiosity!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. Thank you.