Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Notes from The Dog by Gary Paulsen

 


The title of this book and the author’s dedication intrigued me:

  “This book is dedicated with all respect and hope to everybody who has ever faced cancer.

   The enticing title and dedication along with the inkling that there was something powerful and unique about this novel convinced me to read it.

   My intuition did not fail me. This is a book that made me rejoice, reflect, laugh and, finally, cry like a child. The unique characters stayed with me after I finished reading it.

    It is a book that makes you acknowledge how a simple person can make a difference in the lives of others with motivation, cheer and a new perspective on different matters. It is an opportunity to reflect on the multiple ways in which one person can touch lives and make them better.

    Finn is a fourteen-year-old teenager who loves books and spends most of his free time reading novels. He is an introvert whose best friend is Dylan, a dog. He also has Matthew, whom he describes as a true friend, “It’s because he’s the only person I know who doesn’t make me feel like he’s drifted off in his head when I’m talking. Anyone who listens to everything you have to say, even the bad stuff and the boring things that don’t interest them, is a true friend. Matthew’s always been the only person who’s easy for me to talk to. He’s a lot like Dylan when you think about it.”

   Finn did not know how his life would change with the presence of her new next-door neighbor, Johanna. In the first chapter Johanna introduces herself to the boys and Dylan. I read the first chapter twice because I enjoyed it so much. I was smitten with the characters. It made me laugh out loud, and I appreciate Paulsen’s social commentary.

   When Johanna met the boys, she greeted Dylan first. Then she said, “In this world, you either like dogs or you don’t, and I don’t understand the ones who don’t, so I’m glad to finally meet the three of you.” Her chemistry with Dylan and the boys was instant. After the end of their first conversation, she asked them to sign her journal because it was her habit to write down the best thing that happened to her each day…

   Gary Paulsen knows how to shake and break the reader’s heart, but he does so while imbibing the spirit with the light of hope, joy and inspiration. There is so much wisdom in this story. It is the kind of wisdom that sneaks in with grace and gentle steps without resorting to sentimentality or preaching.

   I recommend this book to adults, teenagers and middle schoolers. It is a celebration of the empowering nature of true friendship. In the next edition I hope the publishers will consider adding illustrations by his talented wife, Ruth Wright Paulsen.

 

 

   Gary Paulsen shares a poem right before the first chapter of the novel:


 To every thing there is a season,

a time for every purpose under the sun.

A time to be born,

and a time to die.

A time to plant,

and a time to reap.

 

A time to weep,

and a time to laugh.

A time to mourn,

and a time to dance.

                               Ecclesiastes

I’ve read two other books by Gary Paulsen. You can check those reviews as well:

 

The Glass Café

The Island