Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Just Five Minutes with You, My Son: A Son's Suicide, a Mother's Journey

 


 The loss of a son or a daughter is a devastating, life-transforming experience for which nobody is prepared, and when the loss happens as a result of suicide the confusion may be even greater.

 No words can relieve the pain. Along with the vastness of such an emptiness, the love in a parent’s heart stays alive, and the relationship with the lost child is as unique as each person’s life journey.

 Every day I create a bond between us. I write the story of his life and death. I write to remember,” Hanna Granot wrote.

    Doron was only nineteen years old when he ended his life, twenty years ago. His mother spent ten years writing Just Five Minutes with You, My Son. Doron was a happy, optimistic person, so his suicide shocked everybody. Hanna was determined to examine his life in search for answers.

 I set out on the journey into Doron’s life to find healing, consolation and insights into our loss of him.”

 Reading Hanna’s book has been a very emotional experience. Immersing myself in Doron’s childhood was magical. The questions and reflections he expressed when he was a child cast a spell on me. From his interactions with one of his teachers and parents I perceived his giftedness.

   It was unsettling and painful for me to learn that at age nineteen his military duties had chronically deprived him of the sleep hours he needed to maintain his health. Today we know that regular sleep is an essential part of the foundation of mental health.

   Just Five Minutes with You, My Son celebrates Doron's life and reflects on   various aspects of grief and love. It is a source of support, comfort and understanding to parents who have lost a child. It is also a resource for those who want to genuinely support others in similar situations.

   One aspect of the book that enchanted me was the way she travels with her imagination through time, and to various places. She also dives into her son’s mind and even creates imaginary situations. For example, she wrote an imaginary conversation between Doron and Anne Frank.

 This book is a reminder that it is okay to not be okay. It may encourage people to seek help at times of crisis, for it sheds light on the helplessness of the loved ones who are left  with all the questions.

 Nobody is immune to such a tragedy.

   I appreciate Hanna’s courage and the insights she shares, a result of the wisdom that emerges from the depths of bereavement:

  "I understand that the pursuit of perfection is misguided at its very core. There is nothing immaculate in our world."

   I thank Hanna Granot for trusting me with her book.  Just Five Minutes with you, My Son” may help save lives, and it may kindle a light to connect people through understanding and kindness.