Friday, March 4, 2022

From a Black Girl to All Black Girls

 


“Excellence and elegance with every step I take,

Labels are something I transcend, nothing holds

Me back,”

Alexa Christian, from the poem “My Little Brown Self”

 

  Showering her readers with the confidence drawn from the love of her foremothers, Alexa’s words are bold and vibrant.  Her verses and monologues plant a seed to be watered and nurtured with the courage of creativity.

“From a Black Girl to All Black Girls” is a collection of poems, monologues and a play by Alexa Christian, a very young poet from Tennessee. Through her writing she pays tribute to the wisdom of her foremothers—“mothers, mommas, nanas, grannies”-- while inviting girls to express themselves.

 Alexa’s poetry kindles our curiosity to learn more about her ancestors, and I hope she will continue to write about them in future books.

  After sharing her own poetry, Alexa provides space and ideas to unleash the readers’ creative energy. Alexa urges her readers to honor their dreams and their own voices. Her poetry book also contains a literary glossary and reading recommendations.

 Alexa is convinced that fostering a love for poetry early on should be a crucial aspect of education.

  Opening up to a diversity of voices will pave the way to more fair societies. In various subtle ways the voices of women of color are often ignored or distorted by biases and prejudices, and this can undermine their right to full expression.

 It is also necessary to enrich school curricula by acknowledging and celebrating the contributions of women of color.

   Today I have the honor to interview Alexa Christian, author of “From a Black Girl to All Black Girls”. Thank you, Alexa, for your contribution to this post.

 

Julia:  What is the purpose of your book? What inspired you to write it and publish it?

Alexa: The purpose of my book is to ignite and fan the interest of poetry in students - primarily in the levels of kindergarten through grade 3. Yet the love of poetry, monologues, and playwriting are for every age. My inspiration for writing and publishing FABG Vol. 1 was the simple longing for people (other than my mother who has always been a gracious audience) to read, and understand, and relate to the complexity of my feelings and life during early 2020. My purpose is also to give others a chance to write their own thoughts with the provided space in my book. 

 

Julia: In your book you included a play that grabbed my attention. It is about Ella, a woman who is compelled to write a book and publish it, but there are unexpected forces at play that try to restrain her. What gave you the idea to write about it?

 

Alexa: The story behind Ella (who was named after my great-grandmother, the mother of my mother's father) and the play was given to me by my then unnoticed hidden desire of publishing my intimate thoughts. The writing process was interesting for me to explore how to go about the storyline, I gave a non-happy happy ending, which surprised even me. From a true lover of 'it all works out beautifully' story tropes. 

 

Julia: How would you improve school curricula to allow the voices of black women to be heard? Do you think schools teach enough about black women writers, artists and scientists?

 

 Alexa: I would improve school curricula to allow the voices of black women to be heard by requiring books written by black writers in several subjects. And by integrating poetry and sign language, which statistically raises reading comprehension and focus. Covid-19 hit and is still affecting students in both apparent and invisible ways. Scholars deserve a revised, more in depth and purposeful curriculum. Schools do not presently teach enough about black women writers, artists, scientists but making this change will give exponentially positive results across all levels and demographics. 

 

Julia: What are your goals for the future?

Alexa: My goals for the future are for all demographics whether in public or private schools to get the best instruction and a presence of poetry and sign language embedded into multiple grade instruction. 

 I have been blessed in my life to be instructed to present a report on Maya Angelou, who authored my favorite poem - In & Out of Time (4th grade). I enthusiastically participated in a mandatory class-wide Reading Iditarod (5th grade). My school gave my classmates and me field trips to see the movies 42 and Hidden Figures (7th + 8th grade) and it certainly doesn't hurt to have a cool English teacher for a mom who encouraged my love for summer reading. I can't imagine not pouring back into communities. 

The From A Black Girls Series is available on Alexachristian.com 

 Thank you to Julia and to all the readers!

 Thank you so much again for believing in me and my book.