Wednesday, February 6, 2013

How often do you write?

"Let others pride themselves about how many pages they've written; I'd rather boast about the ones I've read." Jorge Luis Borges

   I don't agree with those who say that we all have to write every single day. I do think it is important to write regularly, but writing every day when you have nothing to say is pointless.
   I only write when I have something to say, which happens to be almost every day. The same applies to blogging. I feel compelled to post if I believe that what I write is of relevance. (Many times I write posts that I never have the courage to post).
   Writing goes hand in hand with living. It is ingrained in my thoughts, my actions, the way I experience life.
    This does not mean that I always know where I am going every time I sit to write. Sometimes  a first sentence can be the beginning of a story, a journey into the unkown. There are two important things I can recommend:
1) When you have an idea, you need to put it on paper (or on the screen) and let it linger in your mind. Carrying a note-book will make your writing life easier.
2) Embrace uncertainty. You can't predict if the outcome will be acceptable. You need to trust your motivation and your intuition without fretting over the outcome. You need to push through the boundaries of uncertainty.
  This is not easy because since a very early age we are taught that it is not okay to make mistakes. However, whenever you are creating something you need to give yourself the freedom to do it.  Here's an excellent article on this:
Why are we so afraid of creativity?   from Scientific American.
   How often do you write?

8 comments:

  1. I think discipline is an important part of my process just in terms of getting things done. I find if i force myself to sit and write, I come up with stuff. In my case it's not a case of creativity as much as it's overcoming my natural inertia.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I see your point. However, many successful writers I admire do not write every single day.

      Delete
  2. No, a writer doesn't need to write everyday. But writing regularly, whether it's every Saturday or an hour here and there, or whatever, not just when you feel like it, should be an important part of you life. Right now, my goal is to write a short story each week for 2013. How I get the stories written doesn't much matter. And, if I don't accomplish my goal, I won't lose any sleep over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Richard. That's awesome. I have the a similar trend.(You may consider sending one of your stories to the contest). I have been working on some flash pieces lately and a few poems.

      Delete
  3. I wrote about every other day...that's my general rule of thumb. But most of mine are short snippets or introspective writing. My ultimate goal is to write a novel someday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sure. Blog posts and stories stem from snippets and insights. You will have an amazing audience for your novel! I have a lot to learn from you.

      Delete
  4. I write in the in-between, in between everything else, stealing moments here and there, in notebooks, on random pieces of paper, and often in my head.

    Even the blog is something of an in between for me, its the one thing I can commit to at the moment, though there is no schedule to it, just when I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, I love how you describe the in-between moments of writing. I do it too.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. Thank you.