Saturday, December 8, 2012

Reading to preschoolers

  "Mama, I want to finish this book before I go to school today," my three-year old daughter said to me a few days ago. Why not? Let's finish this book together!

   I started reading to her since she was a baby and now we both share the same fascination for books. Based on my own personal experience, I can say that the time spent reading together has created a special bond, a mosaic of happy memories. It is a time of connection, an opportunity to share thoughts and discussions about the world around us.
   Kids see everything with new eyes, so it is a refreshing experience to be close to them as their discoveries unfold. Books spark their imagination, bring new questions to the table and foster an everlasting love of learning. They can help to create the seeds of compassion, understanding and open minds. These are moments of laughter, giggles, and even the occasional tear.
  Today I will dedicate this post to my lovely daughter and I will share with you some of the books that we both found inspiring. (Most of these books are also for kids in kindergarten and even for the ones in the first years of elementary).
                                  Your mommy was just like you by Kelly Bennett. This book is about a grandmother telling her granddaughter about her mother when she was a little girl, and how she took care of her. My daughter was fascinated to learn that I had been a little girl too in the past, and that her granny looked after me and nurtured me just as I take care of her now. She even asked me, " And I was a big woman then?". ( I had to explain to her that she had not been born when I was a child!).


I'm Like You, You're Like Me by Cindy Gainer. This book shows familiar situations and settings all kids can relate to. Through its lovely descriptions and words kids are encouraged to be kind and respectful to others.


All The World by Liz Garton Scanlon. This masterpiece with majestic illustrations and poetical writing enchants the kids. It celebrates life by bringing people of all ages and different backgrounds together. My daughter loves its musicality and has read it several times by herself. The themes are timeless and universal.

                              
The Curious Garden is a book about a boy, Liam, who spots some flowering plants on an old elevated  railway track while exploring the bleak city neighborhood. Liam will do whatever it takes to make that tiny garden thrive and bloom amid the gray dull city. With love and care, he will make the gardens spread throughout the city. This book is about persistence and creativity. It is about  how  motivated people can have a positive impact on the world around them.

  Did I inspire you?

I hope I did. Enjoy your time with the kids around you. Doing so is a gift to the world.




10 comments:

  1. It's so wonderful that you read with your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read with my daughter since she was a very little girl.She still loves to read.She brings books from the school and we frecuently pick up books from the library .She is an avid reader .I do agree with you,Julia. It is a gift for the world!I used to be like her when I was a girl...and older,too!.It makes me think about the first book you mention,above. Nice!Congratulations to your lovely daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MS! What a precious gift to our children it is to inspire them to cherish the magic moments of reading something that touches their hearts...

      Delete
  3. I used to spend hours reading to my first three. Then we had another a few years later... She has always preferred to 'read herself ' books that the older kids read ... It's quite cute... But we do still sit her down Nd read picture books to her... Just not as many as we read to the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your experience with your kids, Michelle! Take care.

      Delete
  4. My wife teaches children's literature. We always read to our kids and it proved to be one of the best things we ever did. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, JJ. My daughter will turn four years old soon, and she now reads to her friends at school. Very cute!

      Delete
  5. Great post, Julia! I LOVE reading to my kids and discovering new children's books. It's such a wonderful way to spend time together.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. Thank you.