Monday, December 22, 2014

Art, literature and writing


"Literature and butterflies are the two sweetest passions known to man."
Vladimir Nabokov

  It's time to celebrate my blog's birthday. My blog is your blog; my words reach the people who search for them. I'm celebrating four  creative years of inspiration, learning and growth. Within the last 24 hours this blog has been visited hundreds of times. The views are from the United States, UK, France, Germany, Canada, Netherlands, Australia, Norway, Finland, Belgium, Italy, Spain, China, Indonesia, India, Malaysia, Argentina, Algeria, Tunisia, Poland, Ukraine, Japan...
  Like butterflies, these words travel to distant places. I feel proud to be able to spread the wonders of literature, poetry and art across the globe.
  Far from being elitist, art and literature are like creatures that stoop down to reach out to us, and we can reach out to them. They make the uniqueness of the human soul shine with meaning. They  bring us together, superseding the labels of mediocrity.
 Since I started blogging I've had my works published in different venues.
 First and foremost, I thank my family and  friends for their motivation to read this blog and, above all, for their love and support.  Next,  I want to thank ALL my readers, wherever you are.
Thank you.
 I 'm also grateful to all the writers and poets who awaken the music within my soul.
 Last but not least, I thank all the naysayers out there who through their negativity inspire me to bolster my will power to read and write better each and every day.


  I compiled some of the most important links to my blog posts on art, literature, and writing. Enjoy my blog-library... and don't miss the last part of the party. Keep scrolling down. There are quotes, art and music!

Art posts:

Frida Kahlo
Frida Kahlo (second part)
Pablo Picasso
Pablo Picasso's Guernica
Thomas Sully
Uncommon folk
Writers who paint
An uplifting post
Inocente, a story of resilience

Literature
Leo Tolstoy's novellas
My Antonia
The Fall of The House of Usher
The Awakening by Kate Chopin
The Age of Innocence
Helen Keller's autobiography
A Portrait of the Artist as Young Man
Sylvia Plath's "The Bell Jar"
"Wind, Sand and Stars" by Saint-Exupery
The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares
George Orwell's Animal Farm and 1984
Down and Out in Paris and London
Homage to Catalonia
Of Human Bondage by William Somerset Maugham
The Artist at Work by Albert Camus
Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges
Doris Lessing's "Love, again"
"Runaway" by Alice Munro
"Dear Life"
The Elegance of the Hedgehog

Posts on writing
Writers take risks
The art of writing fiction
Humor in creative writing
Online resources for writers
Likable characters?
The wonder of beginnings
Points of view in creative writing
The benefits of hand-writing
Creating characters for a story
The art of being subtle
The characters living in my head
What's in a rejection? Take it easy
Writing dialogue
Description of places in creative writing

Poetry

Ecopoetry
For poetry lovers... and those who don't care about poetry
The mystery of poetry
Switch off the television
The poets of the twentieth century

To finish this birthday post I'm sharing some quotes by famous writers and poets from all over the world...

"Those who control their passions do so because their passions are weak enough to be controlled."~William Blake

"With me poetry has been not a purpose, but a passion; and the passions should be held in reverence: they must not -- they cannot at will be excited, with an eye to the paltry compensations, or the more paltry commendations of mankind." ~Edgar Allan Poe

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."~Marcel Proust

"The role of the artist is to ask questions- not to answer them." Anton Chekhov

"My New Year's Eve Toast: to all the devils, lusts, passions, greeds, envies, loves, hates, strange desires, enemies ghostly and real, the army of memories with which I do battle-- may they never give me peace."~ Patricia Highsmith

"I write for the same reason I breathe -- because if I didn't I would die." Isaac Asimov

"I think... if it is true that there are many minds as there are heads, then there are as many kinds of love as there are hearts."~ Leo Tolstoy


"The Spanish Inquisition understood the danger. Leading lives through fiction that does not live in reality is a source of anxiety, a maladjustment to existence that can turn into rebelliousness. One can understand why regimes that seek to exercise total control over life mistrust works of fiction and subject them to censorship. Emerging from one's own self, being another, even in illusion, is a way of being less a slave and of experiencing the risks of freedom."~ Mario Vargas Llosa

"The important task of literature is to free man, not to censor him, and that is why Puritanism was the most destructive and evil force which ever oppressed people and their literature: it created hypocrisy, perversion and fears."~ Anais Nin

"It is from reading, even before writing, that I became part of a community -- the community of literature -- which includes more dead than living writers."~Susan Sontag


Merry Christmas. May 2015 be a remarkable year.
May the light of love, peace and hope shine in our hearts.
Till next year.


16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the blog anniversary! And thank you for all the wonderful gems of art and literature.

    Bonne Continuation!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, Claire!
      Merry Chirstmas to you too!
      I look forward to reading your awesome blog too!
      I love reading your thought-provoking book reviews. It has been a good blogging year.

      Delete
  2. Hi human, Julia,

    This be cause for celebration. A blogging anniversary full of hope, enlightenment and inspiration. Inspiration that inspires inspiration within others. A pawsitive outcome, my kind human friend.

    As for the naysayers, indeed, they only make you more resilient. An irony of hope.

    A peaceful, hopeful Christmas to you and your loved ones.

    Pawsitive wishes,

    Penny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining the party, sweet Penny.
      Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  3. Happy blog birthday and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patsy!
      Merry Christmas to you too!

      Delete
  4. Great anniversary post for holiday season, Julia! You are a prolific writer&reader. There are several posts in your links I would like to read in near future.

    Great quotes. How inspiring that Highsmith's quote is! Never knew she said that, but that's so HER!

    I too found blogging comforting and self-expressing. Glad we met on this cyber world, the place we can share something with true honesty.

    Merry Christmas and Happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yun.
      I appreciate your encouragement.
      Yes, Patricia Highsmith's quote says a lot about her works...
      Merry Christmas and may 2015 be a great year for you!
      Enjoy the wonders of poetry, literature and art!

      Delete
  5. Wishing you a very happy & Prosperous New Year.. Thanks for all the support! Keep writing! Keep lighting!… BEST PRAYERS FOR FUTURE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind support, Adhi!
      Happy New Year.

      Delete
  6. Julia, Happy Birthday to your excellent and creative Blog! I love the image of words like butterflies traveling to distant places. I totally agree with you that art and literature, “make the uniqueness of the human soul shine with meaning.” Thank you for all your wonderful posts and I am very happy we discovered each other’s blog and became friends in the blogging world!

    What a gorgeous photo of the flower and butterfly! Also love the Van Gogh painting of the almond blossoms (recognized that one right away, I am a Van Gogh fan). Love all the quotes, really beautiful, and thanks for the links to your blog library. John Lennon’s “So This is Christmas” is one of my all-time favorite holiday songs. May the "light of love, peace and hope" shine in all our hearts. Wishing you a fantastic and continually creative New Year in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Madilyn,
      I am honored to read your comment here. I 'm also thankful that we met in the blogging world. You are a special, kind friend to me and I love all the comments you leave on my blog. Your unique sensitivity and kindness make you truly special, and I admire your photography and your blog posts.
      I knew you'd love Van Gogh's painting by the way.
      I wish you a creative joyful year my friend.
      Love and hugs,
      Julia

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday to your blog. I hope your Christmas was very special and your New Year will follow with many poems, yet to be written and many more brilliant posts to be added. Loving thoughts to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good wishes, Manzanita.
      I hope you and your family have a year of joy, health and love.
      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. Hi Julia - I am late and late to wish your blog a Happy Anniversary - here's to many more as we roll along with your 5th year ...

    Wonderful summary of links ... art, literature, writing, poetry ...

    Definitely keep on .. perhaps a quarterly summary in 2015 - or every four months? A thought ..

    Cheers and all the very best for 2015 - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too! I wish you health, happiness and joy! ...and lots of interesting blog posts!

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. Thank you.