Sunday, June 29, 2014

A strange frenzy


 "All writing is a love letter, said the great Deleuze. Reading is also an act of love, and, sometimes, this love, in reading writes."

  A Strange Frenzy includes 17 poems by Dom Gabrielli. Each of these poems was written in response to a quotation by Rumi. Dom Gabrielli feels an intimate connection to  Rumi's verses.
  Rumi's writings had lingered in his life over the years and they inspired him to write these poems that create a dialogue.
  This conversation explores the beauty of the universe and the mysterious moments of our existence; it is about those instances that leave us in awe because we cannot comprehend the underlying strings and  motions that draw us together.
  "What is the body?  That shadow of a shadow
of your love, that somehow contains
the entire universe."
Rumi

  Rubi's and Gabrielli's voices slide into the mystic heart of love.

"Love has taken away my practices and filled me with poetry."
Rumi

"i have nowhere to run

amid these wheat fields of lost words

all I know is i am far

far from you

from the smiles i love

i have nothing left of me

nothing of a body

to espouse the moment of blue

which brings green taste to my earth."

Dom Gabrielli

"The inner secret of that which was never born,
you are that freshness, and I am with you now."
Rumi
                                          "There's a strange frenzy in my head,
                                                                                           of birds flying,
         each particle circulating on its own.
             Is the one I love everywhere?"
                                                       Rumi

18 comments:

  1. Lovely quotations. I haven't read Rumi, but this makes me want to. Next trip to my favorite used bookstore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Favorite bookstores... I love those. Used books have more than the soul of the story and the writer. The hearts of previous readers are entangled with them. There is something magical about that.

      Delete
  2. We cannot but agree with the commentator above. Simply delightful and someone who we have not previously read and who must now be added to our list of 'must have' books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane and Lance.
      Yes, Rumi's writings are fascinating. I can't get enough of his quotations.

      Delete
  3. I like Rumi very much! :-) I have loved his poetry since I was very young :-) I love the most when he talks about the world as a spiritual evolution I read that when I was barely a teenager, and I loved it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lina,
      We share Rumi's inspiration.
      Your blog is on my list of favorite blogs.
      Thank you for your visit. Have a peaceful week!

      Delete
  4. Hi Julia .. Rumi is someone I need to 'study' and understand better .. to see behind the man - somehow .. also the same for poetry - I need to expand my knowledge base ..

    Thanks - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary,
      I believe poetry is to be enjoyed and savored... if Rumi's poetry does not do it for you, try another poet. This is my personal opinion. Poetry is like a friend.

      Delete
  5. I've heard many mentions of Rumi and this post makes me want to read now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back!
      Thank you for your visit.

      Delete
  6. Hi Julia,

    I embrace those dancing words of Rumi. The strange frenzy in my head. A cacophony of confusing chatter. Yet, beyond the chatter is the balance.

    Thank you, Julia.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And beyond the chatter, the birds are singing nicely.

      Thank you, Gary.

      Delete
  7. Hi Julia .. I need to explore more poetry - and I know at some stage I'll get there ... yet as I 'learn' more or take more things in - I can see where concepts come from ...

    Something that came up relative to an art exhibition that I'll see on Wednesday called 'Primary Colours' at the National Gallery ... the concept of our colour ... which isn't there, but our brain interprets it for us ... somehow I'll have to explain it better!! - when I write the post ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already commented .. but similar thoughts though - thank goodness!! Cheers H

      Delete
    2. I look forward to your post, Hilary!
      Thanks for coming back!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The lines of poetry you chose for this post are beyond beautiful. Some poetry has the ability to uplift far beyond the capabilities of any prose, no matter how well it is written. It sounds like Rumi's work falls into that category. Thank you so much for sharing him with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan.
      Your comment is very much appreciated.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. Thank you.