Saturday, May 5, 2012

On why I like George Orwell

 My favorite writers are those who seem to talk to me on a personal level. They either put into words something I'd like to express myself, or they reveal a lot about human nature. I also admire writers who dare to reveal new insights and ideas that leave me reflecting after I finish the read. Those books can spark an inner transformation; they have a spiral thought-provoking effect that leads to new insights and thoughts.
   I feel relieved to read their work, as if I were finding a new friend with whom I can share my own reflections. This happens to me every time I sit to read George Orwell's stories and essays. I am now reading Down and Out in Paris and London and I'm planning to read more of his books.
    I recently finished '1984' and 'Animal Farm'. Both are thought-provoking stories and I appreciate his way of revealing so much about the dynamics of the societies he portrays. There is a timeless universality in them. Here is an essay I wrote about these tales and I analysed their interesting similarities. Enjoy it.

1984 and Animal Farm

9 comments:

  1. Yes, I love that feeling too. When I read a book that makes me think, I wish is would never end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year I read Animal Farm again. Your essay made for an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hokeydina: you are welcome. Thanks for stopping by.
    Michelle: Yes, some books are like that.
    Rachna: I'm glad to know you read Animal Farm recently...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice reviews of two of my favorite books. I tweeted it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently did a post on 1984.

    ***I can't find your e-mail address*** Please e-mail me so I e-mail you back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth: I feel honored to learn that you liked my reviews. Thank you so much for sharing them!
    Richard: My e-mail is juliahones@yahoo.com (I could not find yours either). I will have to check that post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1984 and Animal Farm are among my absolute favourite reads. They still traumatise me and these days I re-read them with caution as the heartbreak and horror are as palpable as ever!

    Thanks for the link to your fab essay and review on these books!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are welcome, Old Kitty. I should rewrite this blog entry, though, because Orwell made some racist comments in the book I finished reading (Down and Out in Paris and London). So even though I like Orwell's writing, I don't agree with everything he writes. Don't miss my next review! Ciao.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. Thank you.