Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Lessons from Mother Nature


  Every year I  grow our own vegetables. For a number of reasons that go beyond the scope of this post, I did not do it in 2013. However, I did grow cherry tomatoes in a pot. The plant  produced a few tomatoes, and by the end of autumn it began to wilt.
 I don't know anything about growing vegetables in pots, and I didn't read much about it either because other duties of mine took precedence over my tomato plants. I thought the plant was bound to die after producing its fruits. The plant seemed to be dead at some point.
  By Christmas, however, two branches started to grow and thrive from it. I watered them and they continued to thrive.  Will they blossom and produce tomatoes at some point this winter? The deceased plant is not dead after all. Those two branches are the evidence that the plant is still alive and growing.
  We just need to accept that all the other boughs are dead but there are branches that are growing nicely, mustering new strength and asking for more water and soil. I find this very inspiring. That is all it takes to keep going. Two branches that are giving rise to new stems, new life, new leaves...
  I may not know much about growing plants in pots, but this tomato plant has taught me something about life.
 Happy New Year.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Julia .. your little one is a real Princess - delightful photo: love it!

    Growing your own is a great goal for 2014 .. we just learn as we go - and if there's time we peak in a book and get some encouragement .. I certainly hope that plant grows strong .. perhaps Spring tomatoes appearing??

    I'm always amazed at the rebirth plants are able to put out .. dead (apparently) sticks sprout and form trees .. we just never know what is growing underneath .. now to nurture those little shoots of life wherever they are found ..

    Happy New Year .. and enjoy your family and your plants .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in 2014 I will choose to focus on the branches of my life that are willing to grow, the ones that have potential to develop into something greater-- not on the the dead parts.
      Happy New Year, Hilary!

      Delete
  2. Yes, that is a great lesson the tomato plant has taught!

    I send along wishes for peace and joy in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you and your family (and your plant) good things in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals!

    Wishing you a Happy New Year!

    Nas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the good wishes. I hope 2014 is a wonderful year for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julia,

    And what may see to be expired, we notice the determination to start again. I brought in my potted fuchsia bush. It was wilting and the branches were brittle. And yet, with a little water, a bit of sunlight, new leaves emerged and it's starting to already bloom It bodes well for 2014.

    And the magic of life is written in the smile of your beloved daughter.

    Here's to a happy, hopeful 2014.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet message, Gary.
      I'd love to see your plant.
      I hope you are feeling better, Gary.

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year, Julia! I plant a little vegetable garden every year, and I also grow cherry tomatoes in pots on the patio. I never had much luck growing them inside though. How marvelous that your tomato plant began growing and thriving by Christmas, that is inspiring! Love the picture of your beautiful little girl and her Happy New Year crown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment, Jersey. Happy New Year to you, too.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. Thank you.