Thursday, November 28, 2013

Folding Washing


When we first met
we were surging toward separate shores.
When did we start moving to the music of the water?
Was it while propped
against the headboard of our bed,
books resting in our laps?
Or fingering figures on each other’s backs
before falling asleep?
From The Lure of the Ordinary, a poem by Ute Carson

 Ute Carson’s  poetry chapbook “Folding Washing” is about her own life experiences. You will encounter stories of friends, relationships, nostalgia and the power of her present life. Intense emotions, reflections and thoughts are all woven into her poetry.
Her life will likely resonate with yours because her themes are universal.
Two of the poems that appear in this collection were published in the Southern Pacific Review:
 Ute Carson’s poem “A Tangled Nest of Moments” won second place in the Eleventh International Poetry Competition in 2012 ( First Writer).

Another poet I would love to recommend is Leila Fortier. Her poetry is breathtaking and profound. She has published her poems in a vast array of literary magazines and anthologies. In 2007 she published the anthology A World of Love: Voices for Carmen to support victims of domestic violence. In 2010 she composed a photo book to support the education of impoverished kids in India.

I will leave  links to some of her poems published by online literary journals. 

 And now I'm off to prepare our vegetarian lasagna. No turkey for us. 
Happy Thanksgiving!



10 comments:

  1. Dear Friend Julia
    Your love of poetry always makes me aware of poets who are not familiar to me. I like that poem because it is whimsical, yet full of emotion.
    Yummmm....lasagna sounds good. I was vegetarian for 35 years but due to old age I had to give it up. My body needs some animal protein now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Manzanita.
      I was a vegetarian for almost 20 years ( I did eat fish, eggs and dairy products, though). Now I am not a vegetarian anymore but I don't eat meat every day. My daughter loves chicken and she likes to eat red meat about once a week. She is a picky eater.
      I also like to cook salmon about once a week because of the omega 3 fatty acids. They are good for the brain.
      It's nice to cook when you have time because you can get creative. The lasagna was good and I still have some more for tonight.

      Delete
  2. Oooh! I salivate for awesome poetry. Thank you for the recommendations--and happy Thanksgiving. I'm eating turkey. No vegetarian lasagna here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal. Enjoy your turkey then.

      Delete
  3. Hi Julia,

    I checked out all those links and as much as I respect, admire different forms of poetry, I much prefer yours to those two fine ladies.

    And indeed, I hope you enjoyed your vegetarian lasagne. A peaceful remainder of your Thanksgiving, Julia.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fine, Gary. At least you're honest.
      Next week I will be sharing a poem of mine. Feel free to speak your mind. I have a thick skin.

      Delete
  4. Hi Julia .. I hope you enjoyed your vegetarian lasagne - I would love that too .. though I eat meat - it's not everyday. I'm going to enjoy getting to grips with some poetry in the coming months .. I've enjoyed your posts and leads across ...

    Folding washing - what a great title though .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that title too, Hilary. Folding and washing experiences, memories, thoughts...
      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. I love that photo. It works so well with the poem and tells a lot of stories itself.
    Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angelika.
      I'm not good at photography but I try my best.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. Thank you.